The history of municipal governance of Bangalore dates back to March 27, 1862, when nine leading citizens of the city formed a Municipal Board under the Improvement of Towns Act of 1850. Later, a similar Municipal Board was also formed in the Cantonment area of the city. The two boards were legalized in 1881, and functioned as two independent bodies called the Bangalore City Municipality and the Bangalore Civil and Military Station Municipality. The following year, the concept of elected representatives come into being and also saw the introduction of property tax.
After Indian independence, the two Municipal Boards were merged to form the Corporation of the City of Bangalore in 1949, under the Bangalore City Corporation Act. The corporation then consisted of 70 elected representatives and 50 electoral divisions. The name of the council then changed — first to Bangalore City Corporation (BCC) and then to Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BMP).
In January 2007, the Karnataka Government issued a notification to merge the areas under existing Bangalore Mahanagara Palike with seven City municipal council (CMC)'s, one Town municipal council (TMC) and 111 villages around the city to form a single administrative body, Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike. The process was completed by April 2007 and the body was renamed 'Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike'.
For more info visit the BBMP website: http://www.bbmp.gov.in